Sunday, October 01, 2006

Salaamaleekum!

I'm officially in The Gambia! Yes, it is hot and humid but it is gorgeous and lush and smells so good. We spend much time each day sitting under a giant mango tree. Too bad the mango season has already passed...well, for the most part...one of my fellow trainees did get bonked by a falling mango... I found out yesterday that I will be learning Wolof during training, along with only 3 other trainees, in the village of Saaresamba in southern Gambia, about 180km from where I am now in the capitol of Banjul. Friday, October 6th we leave for the villages. It will be 5-6 hours of bumpy driving. Apparently the roads are paved but riddled with potholes. The food here is really good. Lots of rice, amazing fish, onions and tomatoes. It is hard to get used to drinking room (or outside) temperature water all day long but I'll survive...assuming I drink enough. That's all I have time for now as we're going to the beach!

P.S. If anyone wants to write me a letter, make sure you write "AIRMAIL" on it or it will take forever to get here. (Or if sending a package (mom) , send it by air as well. I think the air option is the second cheapest. Apparently if you choose the cheap option is will take months to get here...not 4-6 weeks like the post office will tell you.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home